Main Projects


Project 01: September - December 2013

Will I Get A Ticket? App

Team Size: 3 Members
Deliverable: Product concept informed by user centered design

Description: As part of a team, I brainstormed and tested a design for an original phone application. The goal was to work with a commonly shared problem and devise a tool to help. In our case, it revolved around parking in Seattle, which is sometimes less than straightforward. We contacted the city and received parking data from late 2012-2013 and began developing features to solve our problem. The final result was a prototype which was tested on several people.

Project 02: January - March 2014

Refrek.com Usability Study

Team Size: 4 Members
Deliverable: Usability report for a real client
Tools Used: Morae, Tobii Eye Tracking

Process: My team was approached by Refrek.com) to do usability testing on the main site, specifically on sign-up process for new users. Refrek is an online video interviewing service aimed at organizations. We spent several weeks designing a plan and recruiting to run an in- depth study with five compensated users in the recruiting industry. We used Morae software to record and annotate the tests, as well as a Tobii eye tracker to track the eye movements of participants on the screen.

This project demonstrated several things for me. This type of study is more resource intensive than I initially thought. To make the study worthwhile, we needed to coordinate many elements, from scheduling, surveys, scripts, accommodations, recording, technical details, analysis, and presentation. We also uncovered details we would have never come to ourselves. The CC and BCC behavior of an e-mail form, for example, was unclear. Most of our participants pointed this out immediately because it is important to their daily activities, whereas we had missed it completely.

Links

Final Report (PDF)
Study Test Kit (PDF)

Project 03: March - June 2014

National Parks Data Visualization Tool

Team Size: 4 Members
Deliverable: Visualization tool
Tools used: Tableau

Process: Using Tableau data visualization software, I worked with a team to create a data visualization tool aimed at national park rangers. We used thousands of data points from the National Park Service's Inventory & Monitoring program. We contacted domain experts to gain perspective on what would be needed in a tool, and started to design a dashboard for visualizing our massive database of information. One of the biggest challenges was deciding how to organize the data displays- we tried to strike a balance between ease of use and variety of displays. We found that the tool was much more interesting to use if all of the displays on a page affected each other. Tableau was limiting when it came to specific links between the data, but it allowed us to get close to our original vision very quickly.

Project 04: September - December 2014

WineQuest App Design

Team Size: 4 Members
Deliverable: Profitable design for a client

Process: For this project, I helped developed a concept for a social wine app with a client. We did a competitive analysis and closely considered the business model appropriate for this type of application. We ultimately landed on the idea of separating ourselves in this over saturated field by focusing on gamification. By framing the app within a fun social "scavenger hunt," we believe we addressed the requirements of our client. We finished by providing a detailed design specification that helps make the idea concrete.

Links

Final Presentation (PDF)
Wireframe (PDF)
Design Spec (PDF)

Project 05:September - December 2014

User Review Credentials Study

Team Size: 4 Members
Deliverable: Research paper
Tools used: Amazon MTurk

Process: I worked with a team on an experimental research study investigating the influence of user review credentials on intent to purchase during online shopping. The most important part of the process, by far, was the actual design of the study. We wanted to strike a balance between external and internal validity, trying to keep our variables under control while putting the participant task in a real world context. We used Amazon MTurk to rapidly gather over 350 participants. We used a two-way between groups ANOVA to assess the results, which can be read in the paper below. I worked a lot on the written components, making sure that our work was being communicated clearly.

What I took away from the experience was that good experimental research requires airtight experimental design. It made me realize that a lot of research out there should not be taken at face value, and that there are many limitations with the process. That being said, with a good structure and enough participants, research can indeed confirm hypotheses and guide design choices.

Links

Research Paper (PDF)
Final Presentation (PDF)