Carbon Cycle Quiz
VR Education Experience | 2018
I want to transfer students’ stories into virtual worlds.
|Unity Dev||Unity3d||Reality Next|
The first stage of this project was a session run by Reality Next, where students formed skits around principles of the carbon cycle. They got into motion captures suits and acted out their stories. Afterwards, I was given the animation data and narrative audio files.
- Asset Hunting: The students’ stories called for a diverse set of worlds- race track, graveyard, forest, and underwater. I grabbed what I had, and filled in any gaps to make creating these worlds quick.
- Creating Environments: I built out the environments, keeping in mind the props that would be needed.
- Remapping characters: I had the animation data, but it was just stick figures. I had to re-target everything to different models. The most challenging was getting the motion of two students into chipmunk models.
- Lining up audio: I had to make sure that the narrative played in line with what the characters were doing.
- Sub animation: Using Cinemachine in Unity, I added in various lighting & particle effects to bring the stories to life.
- Building a quiz framework: At the end of each skit, I created a quiz box popup with a timer. I also created a hub world (classroom in space), and kept track of the answers across the five skits. If the user went through and got everything right, they were sent to the end.
- Presentation: Once I completed the experience, the students were invited to a VR Arcade where they ran through my experience. This was amazing to experience, and I saw students dancing with the easter egg dancing pirate that I hid in the experience.
This project was a huge challenge. I was at the mercy of the student’s stories, and had to visually represent them with characters. This was the first time I had ever used motion capture data, so it was interesting seeing the real motions of the students translated to the virtual world. Building the quiz framework was a great organizational lesson too.